Safe Responsible Storage of Cannabis is Key to Avoiding Accidents
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Police investigators believe a 2-year-old girl ingested edible marijuana, authorities said Friday after the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth and Families announced that the child had almost died.
The girl, whose family had past involvement with the DCYF, was admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit at Hasbro Children’s Hospital on Thursday, according to a news release from the DCYF.
“There was no assault … there was no sign of abuse,” he said.
The child’s grandfather was sick and had a doctor’s note for medical marijuana, said Detective Major David Lapatin. Police investigators are treating the girl’s ingesting marijuana as an accident, he said.
The DCYF’s news release said that the agency is investigating, adding that additional information could not be provided due to confidentiality laws.
The Office of the Child Advocate has been notified.